Thursday, November 3, 2016

Omnivore's Dilemma pt 2. Reading Response

Why Organic?
As someone who grew up in a rather healthy and environmentally friendly oriented family, the question of “why organic?” comes up a lot. Honestly, I’ve never quite understood why we eat only organic fruits, vegetables and meat. Of course, we would be allowed to eat non-organic fruits vegetables and meat; but the organic ones are the ones we liked to keep in the home. I don’t think I can remember there being a difference in taste, but my mother will always claim so. Eating organically is just better. I almost feel silly for before reading this section of The Omnivore’s Dilemma, not even knowing why it was “better” for you. I found this particularly interesting because as eating organically was such an important and prominent aspect of my childhood, I never really quite understood why.
When he starts off talking about shopping at Whole Foods and what foods he buys for dinner, it reminds me of home as Whole Foods is my parents’ favorite grocery store. I always viewed eating organic as something that was better for the earth, and our bodies in every way. But, as I’ve already stated, there really isn’t any scientific evidence for my assumption. I just assumed. Pollan explains how maybe some of the companies that claim to be organic might not actually be as caring as they seem. He describes a dialogue with one of the spokesmen for Grimmway when he quotes: “I’m not necessarily a fan of organic… Right now I don’t see that conventional farming does harm. Whether we stay with organic for the long haul depends on profitability.” In this moment, I’m already regretting my previous assumptions. He explains that both Cal-Organic and Grimmway started as conventional organic growing companies, which shifted my views even more. How can something just become organic?
Pollan follows with ethical questions about eating organic, which also makes me feel sort of funny for growing up only eating them, but then later brings me back to WHY my family did choose to eat them. I knew about the expense of course. I knew that my mom used to scoff over the tiny box of raspberries for $6.50, but would buy them anyways if I really begged. I also wasn’t aware of the energy, or that it was more effort to produce organic foods, but after reading this, I completely understand. Pollan also suggests that some of the produce itself tastes better when organic, but that it is all relative and the different types of food vary. Even though there is speculation upon every aspect of why or why not to eat organic, I will always stick to eating organic meats whenever I can. The meat industry itself terrifies me (as we’ve read and watched about in class), so I will pay a little extra better for a safer, cleaner meat. I like the fact that I’m not eating pesticides or other toxins, and it scares me to think that they are within almost everything that we eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment